We are happy to share exciting news with all our parents, in that Britannica’s parent company, Orbital Education, was recently honoured with a prestigious Queen's Award for Enterprise: International Trade.
The Queen's Awards for Enterprise are the most prestigious business awards in the UK and celebrate the success of exciting and innovative businesses, leading the way with pioneering services, delivering impressive social mobility programmes or showing their commitment to excellent sustainable development practices.
About Orbital Education
One of the 1,000 Companies to Inspire Britain, as listed by the London Stock Exchange Group, and a Sunday Times HSBC International Track 200 company, Orbital Education owns and operates a growing group of international schools across the world that cater for students between the ages of 2 and 18 years, specialising in delivering the English National Curriculum, enhanced to meet the needs of an internationally diverse student population.
Founded in 2005 by Kevin McNeany, Orbital Education runs a group of schools and colleges offering British Education which is owned and managed from Cheadle Hulme in Cheshire, United Kingdom. Mr Kevin McNeany, an entrepreneur and innovator in the field of education, previously founded Nord Anglia Education in 1972 and has driven Orbital Education in its mission to bring the best of British education to the world.
Orbital Education’s management team remain at the forefront of international British Education. Regional Head of School with responsibility for China, Mr Michael Clack, has over 25 years of experience in educational leadership roles as well as being an ISI Team Inspector for BSO, a Lead Improvement Partner and Peer Accreditor for the Council of British International Schools, and Chair of Visiting Teams for the Council of International Schools (CIS). Heads of Schools, such as Mr Goodwin, Principal of Britannica International School, Shanghai, have a wealth of knowledge and a lifetime of experience managing some of the UK’s most prestigious independent schools and British international schools.
Key to their success, Orbital Education schools follow a British model of education. The flagship school in China, Britannica International School, Shanghai, selects only the highest quality, fully-trained teachers from the UK for their excellence in teaching the English National Curriculum from 2 years of age through to achieving the highest pass rates at IGCSE and A Level examination.
Coupled with an educational team that leads the way in child-focused education, students studying at Orbital Education schools also benefit from an international network of sister schools that share best practice and create opportunities to enhance learning. Each year, pupils from Britannica International School, Shanghai travel to Baleares International College in Spain to promote cultural understanding and spend time on the open waters learning to sail.
Orbital schools cater mainly for the families of expatriate families, but also welcome local families, who prefer to have their children educated in an international setting where the curriculum is delivered in English.
The History of Orbital Education
- 2005 Orbital Education is established
- 2006 First school is established in Moscow and a school in Mallorca
- 2008 The school in Budapest is acquired
- 2009 School at Mallorca is relocated to a larger site on the island and the original school reopens as a Kindergarten
- 2012 A second school in Moscow (West) is opened for primary years and a school in Shanghai is secured that opens in 2013
- 2014 A third site is acquired in Moscow (South West) and the opening of a school in Ljubljana
- 2015 School is opened in Quito, Ecuador
- 2016 Partnership agreement is signed with Qatar Airways to establish a school for the children of their employees.
- 2017 Orbital Education recognised by the London Stock Exchange Group as one of the 1,000 Companies to Inspire Britain
- 2018 Flagship school is opened in Doha for Qatar Airways
- 2018 Orbital Education included in the Sunday Times HSBC International Track 200
- 2018 Orbital Education again listed as one of the 1,000 Companies to Inspire Britain by the London Stock Exchange Group.
- 2019 Contract agreed to run to further schools in the UAE
- 2019 Orbital Education has been honoured with the Queen’s Award for Enterprise: International Trade.